NO. 22/2017 DATE: April 7, 2017
SOCIAL PARTNERS DISCUSS WIDE RANGE OF ISSUES AT 35TH MEETING
ST. GEORGE’S, GRENADA, Friday, April 07, 2017: At the 35th Meeting of the Committee of Social Partners (CSP), held on March 10th, 2017, a Team from the Integrity Commission (IC), led by Lady Avril Anande Trotman-Joseph, Chairperson of the IC, presented a comprehensive report on the work of the Commission.
Discussion emanating from the presentation included:
- The role and importance of the Integrity Commission in Grenada and the region;
- Achievements of the Grenada Integrity Commission;
- Grenada’s recent ranking by Transparency International and the steps being taken to address same;
- Obligations arising from Grenada’s ratification of the OAS Inter-American Convention Against Corruption, and more recently, the United Nations Convention Against Corruption; and the Integrity in Public Life Act and the Prevention of Corruption Act.
- Declaration of assets, income and liabilities, by public officials
Other matters discussed were:
- The exportation of fish and issues related to same, which was led by Hon. Alvin Da Breo, Minister responsible for Fisheries;
- The content of local talk show programmes;
- Government/Union negotiations;
- The National Plan 2030;
- Issues pertaining to the Blue Economy; and
- Vending and the aesthetics of streets in the town of St. George
The CSP meets on a monthly basis and is chaired by Prime Minister, Dr. the Rt. Hon. Keith Mitchell. The CSP is comprised of representatives of the private sector, the trade unions, the non-governmental organizations, the Conference of Churches in Grenada, the Association of Evangelical Churches and Government. As of March 1st, 2017, youth representatives from the Conference of Churches in Grenada, the Association of Evangelical Churches and the Ministry of Youth became members of the CSP.